Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Marvel Event of the Year - Avengers Vs. X-Men: Thoughts and Reviews

SPOILER ALERT FOR AVX #1 & #2 AND AVX: VERSUS #1!
The Avengers just finally might have met their match... The Uncanny X-Men. An event so big that it will divide the comic fan world right down the middle just like Civil War did a few years back (I myself being against registration). I've been awaiting for this event for a few months now ever since I saw the first advertisement in my issue seven copy of Fear Itself when I saw the large symbol of a phoenix in fire with the words IT'S COMING over top. And the first issue is finally out with the third one hitting the shelves today. I myself enjoy the story idea a lot. The two mightiest hero teams clashing heads? That's a nerdgasm right there! The Story basically is that a disaster known as the phoenix is coming to Earth and it's host being the messiah Hope (Cable's daughter). To the Avengers, this means death for all. But to the X-Men, they believe she's a savior of some sort. During the last few pages of the first issue with Cyclops blasting Captain America on the shores of the X-Men island known as Utopia, my jaw dropped... a bit extreme over a comic? I don't think so. But with that defiant laser blast to the chest, the fight was on. AVX had officially started. Issue two came with the same impact as issue one with the comic jumping to different fights going on all over the X-Men's home. Fun issue, but not much story happening. Along with this twelve issue limited series, Marvel is releasing a series called Avengers Vs. X-Men: Versus which is only six issues long each one with two battles in them. The plot for this series is simple. Take one avenger and one x-man and make them fight. The first issue contains a battle between Iron Man and Magneto with Iron Man turning Magneto's power against him (More or less). Fun battle but the second one (The Thing vs. Namor) was weak to say the least... If I didn't know better, I'd say this versus series was more or less a Marvel cash grab.. Regardless of this minor drawback, I have high hopes for this event... I hope I'm not let down like ONE series (cough cough Battle Scars cough). So my fellow comic book lovers... whose side are you on?

No comments:

Post a Comment